Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The cult of Scentology.


It's getting to be that time again. My bottle of Comme des Garcons, MAN2 is starting to run dangerously low and I need to think about what my next "smelly" purchase will be.
I must admit to being a bit of a Comme des Garcons groupie, especially their incense influenced perfumes. I would love to try Kyoto or Avignon, but, here at the arse end of the world there seems to be no one who stocks these scents.
At least Mecca have the new Tom of Finland scent from Etat Libre D'Orange. This is supposed to be the scent of a masculine man as he steps out of the shower and puts on his leather pants (I'm not joking!). I had a snifter the other day and boy is it interesting. It starts overpoweringly, then starts to smell kind of like a sweaty body, then smells a bit like Chanel's Egoiste, before it settles down to something typically French. Thing is the Aldehydes in it gave me a headache, which is a shame as I would have loved to have been able to tell people that I was wearing Tom of Finland!
The other choice is Monocle/ Hinoki, the new scent which is a collaboration between CDG and Tyler Creme Brulee's new vanity publication, Monocle.
Hinoki is a lovely scent, it is supposed to evoke Japanese bathhouses and forests. It starts off with a touch of eccentric Turpentine but settles down to a different but pleasant scent in which the Hinkoki wood is apparent. It doesn't last as long as Tom of Finland but that may not be a bad thing. Of course you cannot buy it here so I will have to get it on the Internet. This is not such a bad thing as being shallow I like to think that few other people here will be wearing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/philip-hensher/philip-hensher-scent-and-the-secret-of-daily-hedonism-1006641.html